Sunday, June 20, 2010

CHINA! Day 3


Thursday, May 20 we went to Lantau Island. Here, at the Po Lin Monastery, is the Big Buddha. And by big they mean GINORMOUS.

The "original" Tangs: Jason, Dad, Clarence, Nancy. You can see the Big Buddha way in the background and the gazillion steps you have to climb to get there.
Just in case walking down all those stairs didn't hurt our old knees enough, we had to finish them off with some sweet jumps.
Jason being, well, Jason.
They have those "stick your head in the hole" picture things in China, too!
Outside the monastery were these random holy cows. They fit right in with the Taxis.
The best part was definitely the "toilet" signs. Not only were they entertaining to look at, they also spared me from using my only Cantonese phrase. Chee-saw hai bin do (Where is the toilet)?


And this work of art was inside one of the restrooms. Isn't it great? However, 99.9% of the restrooms failed to provide hand-soap, leaving this poster useless. Good thing I always carried my trusty hand sanitizer!
After some debate, we decided that the tram would be the best way to get back down the mountain. We took a bus up, and while the views were incredible, the winding road was too much for some of my fellow travelers to handle. This is one of the cars we passed. The views from above were even more spectacular. I never tired of the beauty of this region. So green and lush!

When we got back to the metro, we were feeling a little bored, so we entertained ourselves with some silly pictures.

love those camelbaks!
How many different shades of hands in one family?
Since we hadn't done tons of walking, we decided to head over to the Temple Street night market. This is the only picture I took there. Oops.

4 comments:

Will said...

I don't know where everyone else's comments are, but I'm LOVIN this! I went to a rodeo on Friday and probably felt a little like you did in China, if ya know what I mean . . .

Rach said...

it's about time you did your trip posts. mine have been done for a month:) love all the pics. keep posting.

nana and atom said...

i guess i would be one of those fellow travellers who couldn't handle the bus ride back down... and our metro pics are pretty silly :)

johnsmarte said...

Quite a beautiful family profile.You are indeed blessed.

I like your profile.

John

http://how-to-make-money-quickly.blogspot.com