Thursday, July 10, 2008

One of the Perks of Paradise...

You always have visitors!! We love it, and for the third month in a row we had friends or family come see us! This time was the Nick & Pam Austin family. We became real good friends with them in Grand Junction. Nick and I worked together in the sports department at KJCT News 8. During their stay, we did all the normal tourist things. Forget them? Well, you can go back to Heather's post of when her mom came... that was pretty thorough.
A couple funny stories from the Austin's stay though:
For my birthday eve, we went out to eat at Don Ho's Island Grill.
A little background first. Nick and Pam are some of the most generous people we know. They always want to pay for you, and they're always very giving.
Well, Heather and I agree we have to get them back. So when we get to the restaurant I say I need to go to the bathroom. Of course I don't, and I sneak over to the waitress and secretly slip her my credit card and tell her to charge everything to me. She agrees.
Chalk one up for the Tang's!
We then enjoy a wonderful dinner with the Austin's.
However, when the bill comes, the waitress gives it to Nick. I'm a little surprised, but I figure Nick will be more surprised when he sees my card is already in there. I ask him to give me the bill, and of course he says no. I tell him fine, my card is in there anyways. But then, when he opens up the black book, HIS card is sitting there, and he pulls mine out of his wallet!! I'm floored. I guess Nick spotted me giving the waitress my card while I was fake going to the bathroom. After, he tells me he went up to the waitress and demanded she give him my card (and that's a literal demand too). She obviously obliged.
I asked the waitress what she was thinking, and she said he had a better story than mine.
Austin's 1. Tang's 0. The next day was my birthday. If you can't tell we went to IHOP, one of my favorite places to eat breakfast. Before leaving for the restaurant, I tell Nick and Pam we were only going if we pay. They agree. Man, am I naive. After a lovely breakfast, it was time to cash out. When the bill comes, of course Pam snatches it away and gives the waitress her card.
This infuriates me (in a competitive sense).
So I grab it back and hand my card to the waitress and tell her to put it on mine. Then Pam drops her line. "But it's his birthday today!"
And that's when I choose the wrong.
I immediately stand up and say, "that doesn't matter, you paid yesterday!"
Well, our waitress is the one pictured on the left. She looks at me and says, "it's your birthday, and I'm pretty sure that I'm bigger and can take you down."
Ouch. Bye-Bye pride. What could I say or do, she was right.
Austin's 2. Tang's 0.
Well, the one piece of good news is that we did pay for dinner that night, but I had to strategically sit at the head of the table where the waitress stood, while Nick and Pam were in the back. Oh yeah.
We had a great time with them and can't wait to get them back when we see them next.
Oh, but, the kicker of the story is after they had left, they text us and tell us they hid money in the bathroom to pay for gas. Sheesh.
Austin's win. 3-1 the final.

Our next adventure begins tomorrow when our next set of visitors arrive. Adam Rich and Russell Woodward. My boys from the good ol' BYU days.
We hope everyone comes visits us, you're all welcome in our home!
(And you DON'T need to buy us dinner!!!)

12 comments:

andrew said...

So that's how you do it! I'll remember to be more aggressive next time around! There's no escape next time, and I won't settle for paying for a paltry employee-discounted lunch bill!!! ;)

Jenna said...

Sounds like you guys had a good ole time. I guess trouble begins today...the PCA in paradise. (at least part of the PCA) Hope you have a good time!! Look forward to hearing about your adventures!!

Brad and Rebecca said...

man, i need to be friends with them! All our friends are cheap. haha! kidding! I'll start looking into plane tickets!

Wendy said...

I've been telling Jonny to book us a trip! We'll let you know so you can pencil us in.

Brooke and Tami said...

When we come to visit you, we'll let you pay for ALL the meals! Tang 20 / Horspool 0. Ya baby!

Wongs D & MV said...

Awesome stories! I remember when my Dad was actually wrestling (well not full on) with the owner of a Wong's Palace in a little town in Manitoba because he wouldn't let my Dad pay the bill. I guess he was so overjoyed to see fellow Wongs in such a remote place. I remember thinking: "gee dad, just let him pay!". So next time you'll just have to Austin on... take him outside.

Michelle said...

Hey, is that the restaurant that has the Hula pie? Oh...SO GOOD!!!!

Michelle said...

...and don't worry, I'll let you pay for my dinner when we come visit...hahahah!

the man said...

hmmm... after such spirited response, I think the new rules is, if you want to stay with us, you have to pay for dinner. haha! just kidding! Besides, half of you are all talk. Only Andrew, Mom H, the Taylor and the Austins have put their money where their mouth is.... :)

nana and atom said...

hahahaha. i laughed so hard at your story. that's awesome!

Kevin said...

Man, the Austins sound like they might actually be Chinese - we could learn a little from their tactics! I remember when Clarence tried to "fight" your dad for the bill at Noble Court in Orem, but there wasn't much fighting going on. He let your dad get away with the bill way too easily.

Steve, ToVah, Avery, and Z said...

Heather Horspool???? Hey it is Steve and ToVah Olauson. Do you remember us? Your daughter is beautiful.